Biomedicine and Bioengineering
Research in biomedicine and bioengineering in Dresden is internationally leading. Not only the research in molecular biology, cell biology and developmental biology, but in particular that on stem cells, tissue formation and regeneration has produced important insights. In addition, fundamental research and applied research, e.g. with clinical relevance, closely cooperate in the BIOPOLIS Dresden. This is especially the case for studies of the retina and in the neurosciences. Further key areas are cancer and diabetes research: ground-breaking successes have been achieved in Dresden and innovative approaches have been developed. They bring us substantially closer to improving treatment or even curing these diseases. Dresden cancer researchers for example are among the internationally leading radio-oncologists and are developing state-of-the-art treatments in cancer therapy. Future engineers will have to learn from biomedicine: Dresden scientists are also leading in the fields of bionanotechnology and molecular bioengineering. Among other things, they develop technologies to make molecular motors work for us, or use novel biomaterials to find innovative solutions to the challenges of the future. Finally, systems biology unites physics, computer science, mathematics and biology with one common goal: to understand a biological system as a whole. The national centre for systems biology has institutionalised this for the first time.
Institute aus dem Bereich Biomedizin & Bioengineering:
- DEUTSCHES ZENTRUM FÜR NEURODEGENERATIVE ERKRANKUNGEN IN DER HELMHOLTZ-GEMEINSCHAFT
- HELMHOLTZ-ZENTRUM DRESDEN-ROSSENDORF
- LEIBNIZ-INSTITUT FÜR POLYMERFORSCHUNG DRESDEN E. V.
- MAX-PLANCK-INSTITUT FÜR MOLEKULARE ZELLBIOLOGIE UND GENETIK
- MAX-PLANCK-INSTITUT FÜR PHYSIK KOMPLEXER SYSTEME
- TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITÄT DRESDEN:
- B CUBE
- BIOTECHNOLOGISCHES ZENTRUM (BIOTEC)
- MAX-BERGMANN-ZENTRUM FÜR BIOMATERIALIEN
- MEDIZINISCHE FAKULTÄT
- PAUL-LANGERHANS-INSTITUT DRESDEN
- UNIVERSITÄTS KREBSCENTRUM
- ZENTRUM FÜR REGENERATIVE THERAPIEN DRESDEN (CRTD)