Jump to content

Visa and Entry


General information

Before first entering Germany, most non-EU citizens need to apply for a visa, while EU citizens can enter on their national ID card. Don’t wait too long with your visa application and make sure you apply for the correct type of visa from the very start, if you are planning to stay for longer than 3 months.

Note that as a researcher – whether employed, on a scholarship or on your own expense – your occupation is considered employment (i.e. work requiring a work permit), unless you meet certain criteria. Not all types of visa include a work permit. Even if you can enter without visa in principle, you do not automatically hold a work permit, but must either apply for a visa with a work permit before you enter Germany or apply for a work permit immediately upon arrival, before you may legally start your research work at a Dresden host institution.

For the essential information on this topic for incoming researchers, such as who needs a visa (and who doesn’t) and which type of visa to apply for (or not) please read the corresponding section of our Welcome Guide carefully first.

Where to find us
Nürnberger Straße 31A
01187 Dresden
Tram stop Südvorstadt (line 8)
Bus stop Bernhardstraße (line 61)
Opening hours
Monday to Friday
10 a.m. – 3 p.m. // Please make an appointment in advance